What happens to your when work piles up and you get stressed out? Are you impatient and short-tempered with people? Do you feel irritated and get red in the face? Maybe you lay awake at night worrying and feeling anxious about the “what if” (been there). Does eating a bowl of chocolate ice cream, curling up on the couch and pulling a blanket over your head sound like a good stress reduction strategy? Been there, too.
If you are experiencing any of the above, its time to tap into your innertelligence and get back to your productive, creative, inspired self.
You have all the tools inside of you to keep pushing forward at optimal performance – you just need to get out of your own way.
Take the following 5 steps to better manage your stress:
- Step 1: Stop and notice where you feel the stress. Does it feel like physical stress in your body or emotional stress in your mind? It could be both.
- Step 2: Put your attention on the area of greatest stress be it in your mind or your body. Name the symptom that is arising. For example, it could be a headache, feeling overheated, insomnia, upset stomach, diarrhea, mental overwhelm, backache, anxiety, anger, exhaustion, sluggishness, heartache, feeling stuck, or needy.
- Step 3: Ask yourself, what you need to do to get back to a balanced state? Do you need to cool down? Maybe you need to calm down. Perhaps you need to re-energize?
- Step 4: Commit and take action.
Here are some simple ideas to manage your stress and get back to your productive, creative, inspired self:
- Go exercise to kick out the toxins.
- Make 3 nourishing heart-healthy meals.
- Avoid late-night eating.
- Get to sleep by 10 pm.
- Commit to no technology after 7 pm.
- Drink lots of water.
- Do 5 rounds of deep belly breathing.
- Tell someone you love them.
- Get a massage.
- Take a day off.
- Ask for help at work and at home.
- Have sex.
- Inhale the aroma of your favorite essential oil.
- Walk barefoot in the grass.
- Take a walk in the moonlight.
- Forgive and forget.
- Create a bucket list of things you REALLY want to do.
- Book that flight.